Well, we are down to our last few days in Senegal. While I will be happy to go home, I will be a little sad to leave. I feel like there is so much more to see. I can't wait to get home so I can post my pictures for you all. This past weekend was spent in Toubab Dialaw, a resort (loosely speaking) built by the beach. The rooms wouldn't get a whole star by American standards, but the common areas were splendid. The trip to the Holy City left me speechless. Unfortunately, I will not have any pictures to post of the mosque in Touba. I'm not feeling especially chatty this morning. The last couple of days have been a little rough...malaria medication.
We have some more school visits today, and we will be distributing the school supplies we brought from our respective institutions. According to one teacher we have spoken to here, the supplies will be very much appreciated. There is never enough to go aroud here, and the lack of supplies contributes to the drop out rate. Many parents cannot afford both supplies and lunch for their children. (The schools don't have cafeterias or free lunch programs. If the students don't bring food or have money to buy food nearby, they just go all day without eating. This, too, contributes to the drop out rate.)
So, maybe I will have lots more to say later. I have not had a chance to read or respond to all of my email, but I did see that Kaela wants to know what the weather is like and what the temperature is.
Currently, it's 8:20 am (4:20 am at home) and it's relatively cool, about 77 degrees. Most days it gets up to about 95, but it feels like closer to 110 at times. It has rained only one day since we have been here even though it's the rainy season.
Khalil, what's up? Come up for air every now and then with the video games. ;O)
And for Mykal and Darius... no, I have not seen any elephants, lions, or giraffes yet, but I did see a camel and plenty of goats. I'll keep my eyes open though, and my camera ready. I can just hear the two of you singing the opening song to The Lion King, and Mommy can't wait to get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment