I did this for my boys today.
It's the first "Stars and Stripes" cake I have ever made. But what better way to instill a sense of patriotism in a 2 year old and a 4 year old than with cake?
They are napping right now, but they will see it when they wake up--just in time to join a few friends and family members for a barbecue and to play on the swings in the backyard. What a life they have. Right now, they have no concept of what it means to have won one's independence. It will be years still before they fully understand the tumultuous history of this country and what this day represents.
Although I worry about the world they have to grow up in, I thank God that they are here now rather than 50+ years ago. Perhaps it is my recent return from Africa that inspired the thought this morning, but one of the first phrases that came to mind was "What to the Slave is the 4th of July?", so I thought I would post a link to Frederick Douglass's Independence Day Speech at Rochester, 1852.
Independence...how sweet it is.
1 comment:
Hi Marguerite, The cake looks wonderful. Boy, sure would have liked to have a piece! LOL Hope your 4th was great and that you and Mark (and the boys) enjoyed the family. Miss you and will plan to visit when we can. Love to all, Jane
Post a Comment